1.29.2012

There is a Light at the End of the Tunnel

One of my close friends recently asked me how I ever get anything done these days, and without even thinking, I bluntly replied, "I don't."  Things that I used to accomplish in a mere five minutes now take a few long weeks.  Case in point, I've been wearing the same contact lenses, which I'm supposed to change monthly, for the past 3+ months...don't tell my optometrist:)  Blogging falls into the same category.  I have the best intentions of writing, but it rarely happens.  Needless to say, I apologize for not updating about Reid sooner.

Reid was finally switched from the high-flow nasal cannula to the regular nasal cannula.  Same idea, but the oxygen is no longer humidified and the cannula prongs and tubing are thinner.  He was easily weaned to 1/2 liter per minute of oxygen...in other words, he is only receiving a scant amount, and we're not even sure if he needs that.  As of now, we are thinking that he will most likely come home on the cannula, which I'm sure George Michael (our dog) will have a field day pulling on:)  Additionally, now that Reid is on the regular cannula, he no longer receives his nebulizer Albuterol treatments through the cannula.  He now has the pleasure of wearing a mask every eight hours.  We have had great debates with the respiratory therapists about the type of animal that adorns the mask, and we've agreed that it is a purple dragon.  Reid appears to be mesmerized by the fumes that escape the sides of the dragon and surprisingly remains still during treatments.
Close-up of nasal prongs

Purple dragon, turkey, or fish??
In the feeding arena, Reid recently was switched to NG (nasogastric) feeds.  After careful consideration, the attending neonatologist decided to try pulling his ND (nasoduodenal) tube and start full feeds in his stomach.  We were unsure how he would tolerate the feeds in his stomach because he has only been fed  intravenously or in his intestine since birth.  The little guy continues to surprise the medical professionals...he did great with the change. Reid started continuous feeds (28 mL every hour), and now they are tackling condensing the feeds.  As of now, he receives 90 mL over two hours and then has an hour break.  Bryan and I are becoming quite the pros at pulling back the residual from the NG tube and checking the pH to ensure that the tube placement is in the stomach and hasn't migrated into the lungs.  The nurses also have relinquished the job of setting up Reid's feeding pump and hanging his milk to me and Bryan.  This is in preparation for his homecoming.  Bryan and I enjoy the responsibility and have fun calculating the dose and rate...we're big dorks!  Reid is continuing to p.o. feed (take a bottle) two to three times a day, and some days takes more than others.  I feel like he often stares at me thinking, "Mom, why are you shoving this bottle in my face.  I'm being fed through a tube and never feel hungry.  The bottle is a lot of unnecessary work!"  But, we continue to persevere...

I am happy to say that our son is no longer on ANY pain/anxiety meds!  The wean was such a tedious process, and it was very hard to watch our baby show signs of withdrawal. The nurses,  Bryan and I made sure to give Reid lots of extra loving when he was weaning, and I am so glad that those days are behind us.
No more pain meds! 

Weight check-in...the little chunky monkey is making up for the first few rocky months when weight gain wasn't a priority and is packing on the ounces.  He has reached a whopping 10 lbs. 14 oz.  His torso remains pretty skinny, and he continues to have pretty long legs, but we think we've noticed some tiny fat rolls on his thighs.  His one piece outfits are starting to look like capris instead of pants:)  I guess it's time to move up in size:)
Growing by leaps and bounds

Last, but certainly not least, Reid's CDH buddy (who had repair surgery on the same day as him) was discharged a few weeks ago.  Over the past 4 1/2 months, we've grown very close to the family and are so grateful to have met them along this journey.  We've shared tears, joys, and lots of frustrations with each other and couldn't be happier that their little girl is where she's supposed to be...home!  We're looking forward to sharing all of the successes of our "fighters" for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment